Saturday, August 6, 2011

"Tempo dire 'Arrivederci'..."

My roommate Ashley asked me last night (ironic that it took us this long to talk about it...) why I even came to Italy in the first place. I thought about it for a second and couldn't really think of a good answer... I remember I just have always wanted to. Why? No clue. In my awkward stage of life around 11 or 12 I remember I had a purse that had scenes of Italy all over it. I remember singing lots of Italian Arias with Trio, my crazy voice teacher who I have to thank for furthering my passion for this country and its culture. I remember looking into taking Italian classes in high school outside of my curricula at St. Ursula. I remember trying to go abroad, I forget even when, with that group that did a Mediterranean tour. And yet another time in high school when my latin class took a trip to Italy and Greece. Somehow I just never got around to it. I remember going to my study abroad counselor this time last year and telling her that she just had get me to Italy. And here I am on my last day in this place that I have loved forever but didn't exactly know... 

And now I know. I know that there are so many other things in this world than just little Cincinnati, Ohio or Indianapolis, Indiana. There are cultures so different from ours that "culture shock" is real. I know that I have a thirst to see more. More of Italy, more of Europe, more of the world (yet maybe next time I'll give my parents a break and it won't be on their money!) This trip has lit a match in a dark room for me. It has given me knowledge and insight to those dark places that I knew existed but had yet to see in the light. I have seen so much here. I have done so much here. I have grown in so many ways... I have become a better person, I think. I am much more open to other people and less judgmental about people that are different from me. I try to stress less (you know it makes you age poorly?). I try to look at things at other people's perspectives... something I learned from my roommates since we all had different opinions and ideas about things. And most of all I have learned just how thankful I am. I am filled to the brim with thankfulness. I am thankful for all the amazing people I met here. I am thankful for the Italian culture and way of life because it has taught me so much. I am thankful for my family and friends who have always been interested in what I am doing next and for those who have been reading my blogs and skyping me. Most importantly I am so incredible thankful for my parents... for many things besides this, but I am so thankful for their support in this experience. Their trust in me to be able to go abroad for over two months... their constant love and support from afar... their helpfulness and kindness regarding my finances.... just everything. I know how lucky my family is to be able to help me fulfill a dream like this. I am forever thankful and so appreciative. 

Here I am in the Rome airport with my last hour in Italy upon me and my heart hurts a bit. I feel relaxed and rejuvenated. After a tough year at school and just with life in general, I feel like myself again. I owe so much to Italy. Its sad to say goodbye to a place that has done so much for me in so little time... My senior voice recital I sang the Italian love song, "time to say goodbye" and the melody keeps running through my head... I feel like I have been living in a dream. A dream that I have had for many, many years. Finally that dream is reality. Tomorrow I am going to wake up in a bed in the basement of Cam's house in Ogden Dunes, Indiana and I will finally wake up from this dream world... I will look back and probably think, "did that really happen?" and yes... it did. Not only did it happen, but it was an incredible happening. I have no regrets. I have many fond, vibrant, and amazing memories I will treasure forever and talk about constantly (so prepare yourselves!). I am leaving a piece of my heart in Italy and I am carrying a piece of Italy in my heart. 

Arrivederci, Italia... per ora :) 
Down by the Fiume Arno

Ponte Vecchio at Sundown


Firenze... 

Heart Shaped Pizza on our last night

At the top of Duomo the morning I left 

No comments:

Post a Comment